- State can leverage land bank to attract industries
- With the implementation of GST, the scope for using tax as an incentive has gone out of window for the government. Chief minister Vasundhara Raje has to look for other avenues to drive the state’s industrialization and job generation thereof.
The one nation, one tax (GST) regime has created a level playing field for all states and they are now looking for areas where they can outwit others in attracting industry. For Rajasthan, the new dynamics offers some opportunities which the state can use to its advantage.
- The desert state is one of the few to be sitting on a huge land bank of about 9,000 hactares. This can be used to incentivize industries, said an expert. Secondly, the state has rolled out investor-friendly policies across sectors after it came to power in December 2013. But the implementation has not matched up with the intent of those policies created. Ease of doing business would be a key catalyst for achieving the goals.
- Other areas that the budget is expected to focus is on skill development that has been a running theme of this government. Availability of skilled labour is one of the main factors that influence the decision of a company in setting up industries in any location.
- Hamid elected Bangladesh president for second term
- Abdul Hamid has been elected president of Bangladesh for a second consecutive term.
- Hamid has been elected president as no one else is running in the upcoming presidential election.
- Hamid took office on April 24, 2013, and his five-year term expires on April 23.
- According to article 123 of the constitution, presidential election should be held between 90 and 60 days before the five-year term expires.
· China to pick 5,000 movie theaters for propaganda screenings
- China plans to select 5,000 movie theaters to screen propaganda films and will boost their box offices with group sales, discounted tickets and another financial backing.
- China, the world’s second-biggest film market, saw movie ticket sales rise 13.5 percent last year to over $8.6 billion. Chinese-made movies accounted for 54 percent of ticket sales, with baldly nationalistic action thriller “Wolf Warrior 2” topping the box office.
· Tanzania withdraws from UN refugee programme
- Tanzania announced its withdrawal of United Nation’s“Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework” citing security reasons and lack of funds.
- Tanzania considered a safe haven for refugees, particularly from conflict-hit Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Burundi.
- Earlier, United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) granting Citizenship for some refugees and their applications.
· International Conference on Unani Medicine held in New Delhi.
- The International Conference on Unani Medicinewas held in New Delhi.
- It was inaugurated by Minister of State (IC) for Ministry of Development of Northern Pics.
- It was organized by Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), under Ministry of AYUSH is organizing as part of the celebration of Unani Day.
- The Various national level eminent personalities and stakeholders from academia, industry, regulators, and researchers in the field of Unani Medicine participant.
· World’s First Autonomous Pods Unveiled In Dubai
- Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA)launched the first tests of the world’s first autonomous pods at the World Government Summit.
- The autonomous pods are launched in cooperation with Next Future Transportation (US-Based)and are designed to travel short and medium distances in dedicated lanes.
- They can be coupled together in as little 15 seconds or detached depending on the riders’ destination in five seconds.
- Each pod is fitted with cameras and electromechanical technologies to carry out the coupling and detaching, which can be activated while the pod is in motion.
· World’s Tallest Hotel ‘Gevora’ Opens In Dubai
- The Gevora Hotel in Dubai, developed by the Al Attar Group now become the “world’s tallest hotel”.
- It stands 356 meters and 53 centimeters tall.
- It is one meter taller than the previous holder of the title, the JW Marriott Marquis, in the same city.
- The title has been confirmed by Guinness Book of World Records.
- National Productivity Day and Week
- The National Productivity Council is observing National Productivity Day on February 12, and National Productivity Week till 18th February.
- It is the 60th Anniversary of the National Productivity Council and is being celebrated as Diamond Jubilee Year.
- “Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India ” has been selected as the theme for the National Productivity Week -2018.
- India among Top Ten Nations in the World in Terms of Forest Area
- Strongly emphasising the increasingly green credentials of the country, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has said that India has shown an increasing trend in the forest and tree cover, in comparison to the global trend of decreasing forest cover during the last decade.
- Releasing the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2017, Dr. Harsh Vardhan pointed out that India ranks among the top ten countries of the world in terms of forest area, despite the fact that none of the other 9 countries has a population density of more than 150 persons per sq km, compared to India, which has a population density of 382 persons per sq km.
- “India is ranked 10th in the world, with 24.4% of land area under forest and tree cover, even though it accounts for 2.4 % of the world surface area and sustains the needs of 17 % of human and 18 % livestock population”, the Minister said.
- Harsh Vardhan added that as per the latest FAO report, India is placed 8th in the list of Top Ten nations reporting the greatest annual net gain in forest area.
· Nitin Gadkari Releases Indias 1st Ever Highway Capacity Manual
- The Minister of Road Transport & Highways Mr Nitin Gadkari released India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual (HCM)in New Delhi.
- The manual is also known as Indo-HCM and it has been developed by CSIR – CRRI on the basis of an extensive, country-wide study of the traffic characteristics on different categories of roads like a single lane, two-lane, multi-lane urban roads, and the associated intersections on these roads.
· Twelth International Conference On CSR Held In Bengaluru
- The Institute Of Directors organized it’s 12th International Conferenceon Corporate Social Responsibility in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- In the conference, the Prestigious Golden Peacock Award 2017were presented.
- The leadership award for philanthropy and social change was presented to Mr. Vineet Nayar, Founder Chairman, Sampark Foundation.
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims Exam 2017- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Detailed Complete Prelims Notes