- Most of the canals provide perennial irrigation. This saves the crops from drought conditions and helps in increasing the farm production.
- Canals carry a lot of sediments brought down by the rivers. The sediments is deposited in the agriculture fields which adds to the fertility.
- Some of the canals are parts of multipurpose project and therefore provide cheap source of irrigation.
- Low operational cost.
- Leads to the problem of water logging along the canal route.
- Capillary action brings alkaline salts to the surface and makes large area unfit for agriculture.
- The marshy areas near the canals act as breeding grounds of mosquitoes which result in widespread malaria.
- Many canals over flow during rainy season and flood the surrounding areas.
- Canal irrigation is suitable in plain areas only.
RAS-RTS FREE Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and RAS-RTS FREE Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by RAS-RTS FREE Notes are as follows:-
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains 2020 Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes