This Movement is gathering pace in India in recent days and women are calling out influential men for alleged sexual harassment. To prevent the sexual harassment at work place GOI came out with the act. The act basically broadens the vishakha guidelines of SC. The major features of the act are as follows:
- Definition of women at work place and sexual harassment is defined in a way to cover all scenario possible. For example An aggrieved victim is a woman “ of any age whether employed or not”, who alleges to have been subject to any act of sexual harassment”. The act thus covers every right of a woman.
- Setting of Internal complaint committee(ICC) at each office or branch with 10 or more employees.
- The identity of the woman should not be made public.
- The complaint has to be made within 3 months of the act. But this deadline can be extended.
- ICC can transfer the case to police or it can investigate the case on its own. ICC has to settle the case within 90days.
- Aggrieved person or respondent can file appeal against the complaint.
- In case of false complaint ICC can ask employer to take action against the women.
- There is also a clause of conciliation but that only on the basis of the request of the aggrieved woman and provided that no monetary settlement is made as a basis of conciliation.