Topic: Corrosion and its prevention
Definition: It is the process in which metals are slowly eaten up by the action of air moisture or chemicals. For example rusting is a form of corrosion in which iron is eaten up by the action of air and moisture and a reddish brown coating of iron oxide is formed as shown in the following chemical reaction.
Ill effects of corrosion:
Definitely there are many harmful effects of corrosion. Some of them are listed below.
- Loss of efficiency
- Contamination of product
- Damage of metallic equipment’s
- Inability to use metallic materials
- Loss of valuable materials such as blockage of pipes, mechanical damage of underground water pipes
- Accidents due to mechanical loss of metallic bridges, cars, aircrafts etc.
- Causes pollution due to escaping products from corrosion
- Depletion of natural resource ( Metals)
Methods of prevention of corrosion:
|Coating and Painting||· Iron surface is often painted with the coatings of varnish or paint to isolate it from the environment. Window grills, bodies of automobiles, iron bridges and rails are painted regularly to protect them from rusting.|
|Applying a layer of grease|
RAS-RTS FREE Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and RAS-RTS FREE Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by RAS-RTS FREE Notes are as follows:-
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains 2019 Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Prelims Exam 2019- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Detailed Complete Prelims Notes