Fed up with reading online?? Get the PDF's and Printed Notes at Nominal Rates
Raja Rammohan Roy:
RRM Roy was a social reformer and intellectual in the early nineteenth century Bengal. He is most widely known for founding the Brahmo Samaj and his relentless campaign against the practice of Sati and child marriage.
BS was founded in 1828 by Raja Ram Mohan Roy with the purpose of purifying Hinduism and to preach monotheism or belief in one God.
- The socio-religious reforms are also referred to as the Indian renaissance
- The socio-cultural regeneration in nineteenth century India was occasioned by the colonial presence, but not created by it.
- Formation of the Brahmo Samaj in 1828.
- Paramhansa Mandali, Prathna Samaj, Arya Samaj, Kayasth Sabha: UP, Sarin Sabha: Punjab, Satya Sodhak Samaj: Maharashtra, Sri Narayana Dharma Paripalana Sabha: Kerala
- Ahmadiya and Aligarh Movements: Muslims, Singh Sabha: Sikhs, Rehnumai Mazdeyasan Sabha: Parsees
- Their attention was focused on worldly existence.
- The idea of otherworldliness and salvation were not a part of their agenda.
- At that time the influence of religion and superstition was overwhelming. Position of priests strong; that of women weak.
- Caste was another debilitating factor
- Neither a revival of the past nor a total break with tradition was contemplated.
- Rationalism and religious universalism influenced the reform movement.
- Development of universalistic perspective on religion
- Lex Loci Act propsed in 1845 and passed in 1850 provided the right to inherit ancestral property to Hindu converts to Christianity.
- The culture faced a threat from the colonial rule.
RAS-RTS FREE Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and RAS-RTS FREE Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by RAS-RTS FREE Notes are as follows:-
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims Exam 2017- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Detailed Complete Prelims Notes