- State govt procures superfood quinoa at ₹5,000/quintal
- After introducing Quinoa as a new cash crop in Rajasthan due to its high commercial value, the state government has so far purchased 150 quintals of the crop from farmers.
- Quinoa, whose seeds mini kit, were distributed to farmers of 13 districts of Rajasthan in the financial year 2017-18, with the intension of promoting this crop among farmers to boost their income, is now being bought back from the farmers on Minimum Support Price (MSP) of ~5,000 per quintal.
- Farmers had trouble selling the crop even after its cultivation, so now Rajasthan State Seeds Corporation would buy back Quinoa raw seeds from those farmers who had taken the mini kits.
- As per official figures of agriculture department, Quinoa has been cultivated in 13 districts of Rajasthan including Chittor, Udaipur, Banswara, Bhilwara, Pratapgarh, Tonk, Bundi, Kota, Jhalawar, Baran, Sirohi and Jalore.
- Cultivators of Hadauti region and other districts have been asked to bring their raw seeds to the nearest purchase centres of Rajasthan State Seeds Corporation Limited.
- Quinoa is a South American variety, which is a diabetic friendly and anti-oxidant rich crop.
- Nepal first country in south-east Asia to eliminate trachoma
- Nepal has become the first country in south-east Asia to eliminate trachoma, world’s leading cause of preventable blindness of infectious origin, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said.
- Trachoma was the second leading cause of preventable blindness in the Himalayan nation in the 1980s.
- In 2002, the Government of Nepal had stepped up the efforts to eliminate trachoma with the establishment of a national trachoma programme.
- Columbia formally joins NATO
- One year after reaching partnership deal through a peace agreement with South America, Columbia has has formally joined the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- The North Atlantic Treaty Organization is an intergovernmental military alliance between 29 North American and European countries based on the North Atlantic Treaty that was signed on 4 April 1949
· India to Be Host Country For Celebrations Of World Environment Day 2018
- India will be the host country for celebrations of World Environment Day 2018.
- The announcement in this regard was made by the Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- The theme for this year is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’.
- The government has launched green deeds campaign to raise awareness about protection of the environment.
- The World Environment Day will be celebrated on 5th of June.
- Yogi govt to change name of Allahabad to Prayag
- Allahabad is set to be rechristened as ‘Prayag’, a long pending demand of sadhus and saints of the Sangam City.
- The new name is likely to be approved by the state cabinet soon, sources in the government said in Lucknow.
- During his recent visit to Allahabad to release dates of Shahi Snan (royal bathing), Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad has urged Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath to rename Allahabad as Prayag before the coming Kumbh Mela in 2019.
- Prime Minister lays foundation stone for Patratu Super Thermal Power Project
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the 2400MW first phase of NTPC’s Patratu Super Thermal Power Project in Jharkhand.
- The project is a 74: 26 Joint Venture between Government of Jharkhand (GoJ) and Patratu Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd. (PVUN), a subsidiary company of NTPC establishing a total capacity expansion of 4,000MW.
- Envisioning the brighter future for India’s 19th State, NTPC’s PVUNL is set to develop the project in two phases: 2,400 MW (3x800MW) in Phase-I and 1,600 MW (2×800 MW) in Phase-II.
· Union Minister Prakash Javadekar launches Samagra Shiksha scheme for school education
- The Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar launched Samagra Shiksha schemefor school education from pre-school to senior secondary levels.
- The scheme will mainly focus on improving quality of education, enhancing the learning outcomes and using technology to empower children and teachers.
- The scheme will be focused on digital education and it will enhance the use of digital technology in education through smart classroom and digital boards.
- The scheme will provide a holistic education for holistic development.
- It would help improve the quality of education by focusing on teachers and technology.
- An annual grant of Rs 5000- 20,000 will be provided for the strengthening of libraries in the schools.
· Centre to move SC for clubbing all MRP cases
- Realising that consumers are bearing the brunt of contradictory orders by different courts with regard to maximum retail price (MRP) of packaged items, particularly bottled water, the consumer affairs ministry has decided to approach the Supreme Court to club all cases and refer them to one bench to settle the issue.
- The ministry has also argued that single MRP norm should be followed in “larger public interest”and to “protect consumers”. Nearly a dozen cases are pending before different high courts including Bombay, Delhi, Jammu & Kashmir, Rajasthan and Kerala besides one before the Supreme Court.
· N-E states favour relaxing permits for foreign tourists
- Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim, out of bounds for foreign tourist without a special permit, have supported a move by the Centre to relax the system to boost tourism in the region.
- Both the state governments said they will convey the views in this regard to the Centre in the coming few days.
- Foreign tourists need to obtain Protected Area Permit and Restricted Area Permit to visit Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim for security reasons. Indian tourists need an Inner Land Permit.
- While Arunachal Pradesh shares boundary with China and Bhutan, Sikkim does with China, Bhutan, and Nepal.
- The protected areas currently include whole of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim, besides parts of Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Jammu and Kashmir. Some parts of Sikkim fall under the protected area regime while others under the restricted area.
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains 2018 Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims Exam 2018- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Detailed Complete Prelims Notes