Rajasthan is blessed with great variety of natural resources ranging from scanty vegetation in the western arid region to mixed delicious and sub-tropical evergreen forests in the east and south east of Aravali ranges.
Forest cover is 32744.49 sq.km.(12475 sq.km. is reserved, 18222 sq.km.is Protected Forest 2046.75 is unclassified forest) which is about 9.57% of the total area of the state.
Area wise the districs with decreasing forest cover are:- Udaipur>Baran>Alwar>Sirohi>Bundi
According the vegetation the forests of Rajasthan are devided into 9 sub-types:-
- Dhol Forests:- covers about 60 % of the forest area, Mainly located in the South-eastern parts of Aravali hills between 270 m to 770 m. Major species are Dhol and babul.
- Kattha Forests:- covers about 3 % of the forest area and located in South-eastern regions of the state.
- Salar Forests:- covers about 5 % of the forest area and located in upper ridges of Aravali. Major species are Salar, Kalayana, Gondla and Ber.
- Dhak Forests :- covers badly drained clay soil forest and occupies foot hills and depressions.
- Bamboo Forests :-covers about 2.5 % of the forest area and located in Chittorgah,kota,Udaipur and Abu regions of the state. It occurs as pure patches in depressions.
- Teak Forests :- located in Southern and South-eastern regions of the state.
- Mixed miscellaneous Forests covers about 20 % of the forest area and located in South-eastern regions of the state in the districts of Bundi, Sirohi, Kota, Udaipur and Chittorgarh.
- Sub-Tropical Evergreen Forests located about 30 sq km around the Mt. Abu at an elevation of 1000m to 1300m where the rainfall is 150 cm.
- Thorn Forests are located in arid areas of noth western regions of the state covering the districts of Nagaur,Pali,Sikar,JhunjhunuAjmer,Jaisalmer and Jodhpur.
Various forest products obtained from forests of Rajasthan are:-
- Gums and Regins
- Tan and Dyes
- Oil seeds and Oil yielding plants
- Essential oil bearing plants
- Species providing fibres and flosses
- Edible product species.
Programmes for development and preservation of Forests:-
- Plantation of trees in pasture lands
- Van Mahotsav
- Harit Rajasthan Yojna
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains 2019 Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Prelims Exam 2019- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Detailed Complete Prelims Notes