Industrialization in Rajasthan has been a recent phenomenon, as prior to the independence the development of industries was restricted by the following factors:-
- Lack of Interest by the rulers
- Lack of technical know how
- Lack of transport facilities.
RICCO has been established as an apex body for the development of industries in the state, with the following objectives:-
- To develop the industrial areas throughout the state for small, medium and large industries.
- Establishment of small/medium/large industries by obtaining the letter of intent/licence from the government.
- To provide the financial help to industries.
- Developing new entrepreneurs by providing them technical consultancy.
- Minimize the regional variation in the industrial development in the state.
Major hurdles in the industrial development of the state are as follows:-
- Shortage of manpower
- Shortage of power & water resources
- Shortage of skilled labour
- Low level of technological development
- Natural calamities
- Geographical location of the state.
Industries of Rajasthan can be categorized into following based on the type of raw material:-
- Agro based Industry
- Forest Based industry
- Livestock based industry
- Mineral based industry
There is a regional variation in the industrial development of the state as the northern part with better communication network is more developed then the southern part of the state. Marusthali and Banger region of the state are the most economically backward regions of the state.
Following are the major Industries of Rajasthan:-
- Cotton Textile Industry:- First Cotton Textile mill was established in 1889 at Beawar.The location of cotton textile industry is based on the supply of raw material,fuel,chemicals, skilled and unskilled labour,transport facility, market and capital resources.
A new generation of biotechnology developed as a result of intensive work in India has opened up new opportunities for economic development in the country. The country is also rapidly emerging as a major market for biotech products. The small-scale sector is expected to play a major role in the growth of the biotech industry.
Rajasthan is very rich in bio resources. The state provides tremendous bio diversity, rarely to be found in any other State. Rajasthan is very rich in cattle breed also. State has highest livestock population and there is good potential in animal husbandry and genetic engineering. Thus,Rajasthan has great potential to create immense industrial activity in Biotechnology and modern Biotech products involving recombinant DNA based products and Bio Informatics.
To attract investment in BT sector, RIICO is considering developing state-of-art Bio Tech Parks at Jaipur, Jodhpur and Bhiwadi (Alwar). The infrastructure in terms of developed plots, continuous power, High Speed Data Com Facility, Roads, common testing facility etc. are being developed in Bio Tech Parks.
Investment Opportunities in Biotechnology
- Research and development in the cattle species improvement programme and Biotechnology incubation centers
- Bio-pesticides and bio-fertilizers
- Genetic improvement of seeds
- Genetic improvement of animal breeds
- Dry farming
- Treatment of industrial effluents
- Recycling/recovery of bio-products
- Waste management
- Bio fuels/energy
- Industrial enzymes
- Fermentation products for better yeast
Agro Based Industries
Rajasthan, being leading producer of bajra, barley, pulses, coriander, Cummins and a number of ayurvedic herbals, offers huge potential for agro-based industries. The government of Rajasthan has given utmost priority to and attention for development of agro-food parks. The following concessions are being provided to the units located in agro food parks developed by RIICO:
- Exemption of land and building tax
- Exemption of stamp duty
- Exemption of electricity duty for 5 years
- Public Utility Status
- Exemption from entry tax on raw materials
- Set off of sales tax on capital goods
- Set off of entry tax on capital goods
- Exemption of Mandi Tax
Mineral based Industries
Rajasthan is the county’s second largest mineral producing state after Bihar.Abundant availability of minerals such as limestone, zinc concentrate, gypsum, fluorite, asbestos, calcite, wollastonite, jasper, garnets, marble, lead & tungsten concentrates, phosphate rock, clay, soapstone, sandstone, limestone and feldspar. Substantial quantities of lignite and natural gas have also been identified in the desert areas of the state. Rajasthan is already exporting wollastonite, soapstone and a variety of dimensional stones. Export oriented units are given a priority while granting mining leases.
Rajasthan is among the largest producers of cement in the country.Large reserves of clay and silica sand, raw materials for the ceramic and refractory industry, are available in the state. Further, the state has locational advantage as large north Indian markets for ceramics is easily accessible from the state. With large reserves of rock phosphate in the state, manufacture of phosphoric acid/DAP is a viable venture.
The discovery of natural gas in the state has opened up possibilities for additional investment in the chemical and ceramic sector.
There is also a good potential for locating new base metal deposits. Accordingly, beneficiation and smelting plants may be set up based on newly located deposits.Rajasthan also has enormous resources of Dimensional Stones that are widely spread all over the state.RAS-RTS FREE Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for RAS-RTS FREE Prelims and RAS-RTS FREE Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by RAS-RTS FREE Notes are as follows:-
- RAS-RTS FREE Mains 2020 Tests and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS FREE Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- RAS-RTS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes